• οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½
  • English



Music Database

Browse our music database and directory!

ARTISTS | ORGANIZATIONS | VENUES

Get listed!

Promote yourself through CyMIC music directory

LEARN MORE

Venues

Limassol Medieval Castle

 

Limassol Medieval Castle

General Details

Address: Richard & Berengaria

City: Limassol

Telephone 1: +357 25 305419

Lemesos (Limassol) Fort is situated in the heart of the old town, just above the old harbour. According to tradition, this is where Richard the Lionheart married Berengaria of Navarre and crowned her Queen of England in 1191. The fortified walls are of considerable archaeological interest and thought to be fragments of a much larger castle.

The exact date of the fort’s construction is not known. According to Etienne de Lusignan, it was built in 1193 by the founder of the Lusignan dynasty, Guy de Lusignan but the first official reference to the fort dates to 1228, during the involvement of Frederic II of Germany in the affairs of Cyprus. Through the years, the fort suffered the assaults of many invaders, sustaining further damage in the earthquakes of 1567 and 1568. Finally, in 1590, the Ottomans rebuilt the fort in its current form. The original fort was larger than the later one, which incorporates some parts of the former building, such as the two oblong halls of the ground floor. Below the eastern hall there is a basement with cells, which was used as a prison until 1950. Today, the fort houses the Medieval Museum of Cyprus

Recent Releases

Preview Next

Cyprus Music Information Centre (CyMIC)

25-27, Othellou Str., Famagusta Gate, 1016, Nicosia, Cyprus
T: +357 22 466003, +357 22 809804 | F: +357 22 346124 | E: info@cymic.org.cy

© Copyright 2009 - 2019 - Cyprus Music Information Centre
Developed By: Dynamic Works | Powered By: EasyConsole CMS